WHAT'S ON IN MAY/JUNE 2013
Come one; come all for a splendiferous spectacle of steam at
‘The Great MOTAT Steam Fair’.
Prepare to be amazed as MOTAT celebrates steam power in all its forms with hands on activities and special displays from the MOTAT collection on Sunday 26 May!
Last chance to see this amazing travelling exhibition before it heads back to Australia on 4th June! Families will love learning about wheels, levers, pulleys and gears in the dozens of interactive exhibits. Plus don’t forget MOTAT is open on the Queen’s Birthday. Click here for more information.
Open now to everyone and included in your normal MOTAT admission fee.
1. Military Area - See the military vehicles in action, have vehicle rides and check out the collection on Third Sunday of the month, plus during the 'Soldier Soldier' Holiday Experience (until 5 May).
2. Steam Train Rides - 10am-4:30pm on Third Sunday of the month and The Great MOTAT Steam Fair on 26 May.
3. Aviation Display Hall - See our award-winning building and one of the most impressive aviation collections in the world. Guided tours available when booked in advance. Email email@example.com or phone (09) 815 5808.
4. Tram Rides - Catch the free tram between our two sites. For the daily timetable please see the tram stop. Double Decker tram rides available on Third Sundays 1pm-4pm (weather permitting).
5. Display Hall 2 - See Auckland's new electric train mock-up and ‘A British Selection' car display.
6. Pumphouse - See Auckland's iconic Western Springs Pumphouse, the first building in New Zealand to receive a UNESCO award. It operates every weekday and check out the Beam Engine in action on Thursdays 12-1pm and 2-3pm. Please note: the Pumphouse will not be operating on Monday 4 March and on Friday 22 March. We apologise for the inconvenience.
7. I Spy for under 5s - A fun, hands-on experience designed for you and your under 5s. Available 10am-4:30pm weekdays.
8. Penny Farthing Rider - Visit MOTAT and see our penny farthing rider in action from 11am-4pm on Sundays.
9. 90° South - Explore Sir Edmund Hillary's Antarctic Expedition from 1956-1958.
10. Telecommunications - See a wide range of communication technology from semaphore to mobile phones. Workshop open Tuesdays and Third Sunday of the month 10am-5pm.
11. Children's Bookbinding Workshops - Available on Sundays 10am-4:30pm.
12. The Depot - Take in the trades of early industrial New Zealand.
13. The Fire Station - See one of the largest fire engine collections in the world. Includes some of the first fire fighting technology used in New Zealand.
14. The Print Shop - Learn the history and practice of printing and come in for exciting Printing Press Workshops on Sundays 10am-4pm.
15. Victorian Village Handcrafts Demonstrator - See demonstrations of vintage crafts every 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month.
16. Victorian Village - Wander through settler society during the Victorian Era and visit the school house, chapel and cottages.
17. Early 1900s Shops - Browse retail stores in early 1900s New Zealand.
18. Signposts to Godzone - Immerse yourself in symbols of popular Kiwi culture.
19. Mirror Maze - How fast can you get through the baffling labyrinth? Open daily.
20. The Challenge Zone - Hands-on exhibits which are entertaining, informative and fun for all age groups. A must-do for kids on your visit to MOTAT!
21. Horse & Carriage Rides - Available Sundays excluding Third Sundays.
22. Little Flick Fire Engine - Take a ride around MOTAT. Available during weekends (weather permitting) 10am-5pm.
23. Lollymaking demonstrations - 11am-3pm on Third Sunday of the month.
24. Tinkering Tots - NEW! Under 5's Gallery designed especially for our youngest visitors and their families.
25. Display Hall 1 - Come and see MOTAT's amazing travelling exhibition ‘Imagination Factory'.
26. Tactile Dome - In total darkness, explore tunnels using only your sense of touch and direction. See board outside for daily session times.
27. I Am The Last Tram - Take a stroll down 1950s Queen Street, and transport yourself back to the decade that changed Auckland and New Zealand forever. Guided tours available when booked in advance. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (09) 815 5808.
28. While You Were Away - Discover what life was like in New Zealand when the world was at war from 1914-1945.
29. Winning the Peace - See the changes that took place in New Zealand following World War II and how they transformed the Kiwi way of life forever.
30. Roadworks - Learn about the making of Auckland's roads.
31. Tram Barns - Learn more about Auckland's tramway heritage and see MOTAT's collection of trams.
32. Road Transport - See a wide range of the collection throughout MOTAT and come and see what we are working on in the workshop. Workshop open Sundays & Tuesdays from 10am-2:30pm.
33. Waitakere Station - Explore the impact rail once had on New Zealand society and the development of Auckland.
34. Model Railway - See the development of the North Island main trunk line.
Please note: The Voyager 1 4D simulator will operate until 19 May. Then coming soon to this location will be an exciting new activity zone - watch this space!!
Free entry to MOTAT to celebrate the Golden Days from 10-16 June!
MOTAT will begin offering unlimited free entry to Super Gold Card holders from 1 July. To celebrate and give seniors a taste of what is to come; MOTAT invites Super Gold Card holders to join us for free from 10-16 June.
Super Gold Card holders will enjoy our extensive collection of objects telling stories about
New Zealand aviation, printing, rail, road transport, steam, telecommunications and trams. Visit one of MOTAT’s fascinating exhibitions including the new, multi-award winning Aviation Display Hall, the 1950s themed ‘I Am The Last Tram’ and the re-telling of the history of tea drinking ‘A Teaspoon per Cup and One for the Pot’ based in the Historic Village.
Visitors can view our working Printing Press or Telecommunications workshop on a Sunday and chat with the many volunteers restoring MOTAT’s historic collection items onsite. Or perhaps take a tour around the Pumphouse on weekdays or see the working Beam Engine in action on a Thursday.
The MOTAT Golden Days promotion is available between 10 - 16 June, so make the most of it and enjoy all MOTAT has to offer with your friends and family.