WHAT'S ON IN APRIL 2014
There will be resurfacing works on Great North Road between Bullock Track and Ponsonby Road over a 3-4 week period, commencing April 18.
Car Crazy Holiday Experience
Prepare to be revved up these school holidays in our newest Holiday Experience ‘Car Crazy’!
There will be carloads of fun interactive activities for the whole family to enjoy.
From 18 April – 4 May 2014.
Join us to celebrate the launch of THE LEGO® MOVIE in cinemas on April 17. There will be four days of THE LEGO® MOVIE activities and giveaways, from 18-21 April.
Steam Tram #100
Come along to MOTAT on Sunday 20 April and see our Steam Tram #100 in action!*
*Please note the operation of the Steam Tram is weather permitting.
Clue Busters Weekend Experience
Baron Von Schultz, nefarious cat burglar and collector of Antiquities is up to no good ... and only you can stop him in this exciting new trail. Become a Secret Agent for the day as you track down clues and use your wits to solve riddles and stop the Baron's dastardly plan!
Clue Busters is a fun trail suitable for the whole family. The trail runs weekends and is free with your normal MOTAT admission. No Bookings necessary.
Please note: Clue Busters is not available during school holidays
There is always plenty to see and do at MOTAT, click here to view timetable of when MOTAT comes to life.
1. Military Area - See the military vehicles in action, have vehicle rides and check out the collection on Third Sunday of the month.
2. Aviation Display Hall - See our award-winning building and one of the most impressive aviation collections in the world. Guided tours available when booked in advance. Email email@example.com or phone (09) 815 5808.
3. Pumphouse - See Auckland's iconic Western Springs Pumphouse, the first building in New Zealand to receive a UNESCO award. Note: Pumphouse will not be operating until further notice due to maintenance.
4. Discovery Dome
5. 90° South - Explore Sir Edmund Hillary's Antarctic Expedition from 1956-1958.
6. Telecommunications - See a wide range of communication technology from semaphore to mobile phones. Workshop open Tuesdays and Third Sunday of the month 10am-5pm.
7. The Fire Station - See one of the largest fire engine collections in the world. Includes some of the first fire fighting technology used in New Zealand.
8. The Print Shop - Learn the history and practice of printing and come in for exciting Printing Press Workshops on Sundays 10am-4pm.
9. MOTAT Village - Wander through settler society during the Victorian Era and visit the school house, chapel and cottages.
10. Early 1900s Shops - Browse retail stores in early 1900s New Zealand.
11. Stars & Cars – Kiwi icons and their motors, open now.
12. Mirror Maze - How fast can you get through the baffling labyrinth? Open daily.
13. Challenge Zone - Hands-on exhibits which are entertaining, informative and fun for all age groups. A must-do for kids on your visit to MOTAT!
14. Tinkering Tots - Under 5's Gallery designed especially for our youngest visitors and their families.
15. Birthday Party Room
16. Motor Nation - Tells the story of the Kiwi love affair with cars.
17. Tactile Dome - In total darkness, explore tunnels using only your sense of touch and direction. See board outside for daily session times.
18. I Am The Last Tram - Take a stroll down 1950s Queen Street, and transport yourself back to the decade that changed Auckland and New Zealand forever. Guided tours available when booked in advance. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (09) 815 5808.
19. Winning the Peace - See the changes that took place in New Zealand following World War II and how they transformed the Kiwi way of life forever.
20. While You Were Away - Discover what life was like in New Zealand when the world was at war from 1914-1945.
21. Tram Barns - Learn more about Auckland's tramway heritage and see MOTAT's collection of trams.
22. Road Transport - See a wide range of the collection throughout MOTAT and come and see what we are working on in the workshop. Workshop open Sundays & Wednesdays from 10am-2:30pm.
23. Waitakere Station - Explore the impact rail once had on New Zealand society and the development of Auckland.
24. Model Railway - See the development of the North Island main trunk line.