Between 1935 and 1952, twenty-eight Fiducia class trams were assembled at the Kilbirnie tram workshops for the Wellington City Corporation Tramways.
Developed as a modern one-man car, though rarely used without a conductor, the Fiducia model incorporated a number of modern features not found in previous double saloon cars. The upholstered seats and bus-type windows in particular, were popular with passengers. Other features included Westinghouse safety-car control equipment, a 'dead man's' handle and air-operated folding doors and steps.
Built in 1950, Tram No. 257 was one of the last Fiducias to be completed. World War II delayed construction on trams numbered from 257 to 260 and the limited materials available post-war, caused minor modifications to the design.
Tram No. 257 remained in service until 1964 when the Wellington Tramway closed, MOTAT acquired it along with several other Wellington trams. Since then it has undergone two major overhauls and a bogie change in 1998. Passengers can catch Tram No. 257 regularly between MOTAT's two sites.
|Type:||Fiducia Single Saloon|
|Bodywork:||Wellington City Transport Department, Kilbirnie Workshops|
|Assembled:||Kilbirnie Workshops, Wellington|
|Service Period:||1950 - 1964|
|Truck:||Brill-type 69EW bogies (NZ made)|
|Motors:||2x British Thompson Houston BTH510, 52Hp|