Location & Directions
The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT) is a leading Auckland Museum with a focus on science, transport and technology. You can experience the MOTAT magic over two great sites at MOTAT Great North Road or MOTAT Meola Road. The multi-award winning Aviation Display Hall is located at MOTAT Meola Road.
You can start your experience at either with each site accessible by car, taxi and public transport. Included as part of standard MOTAT admission, the Western Springs Tram service is a fantastic way to experience a historical tram ride between the two sites and passes the idyllic Western Springs Park and Auckland Zoo.
MOTAT By *Car
We are located just 10 minutes’ drive from the Auckland CBD via the North Western Motorway and then taking the Western Springs turnoff (St Lukes Rd Exit 6). You can plan your car journey with Google Maps and entering in your start location and destination:
- MOTAT 1 - 805 Great North Road, Western Springs
- MOTAT 2 - 190/200-208 Meola Road, Pt Chevalier
MOTAT By *Bike
Bike rack facilities are provided at both our MOTAT sites (inside by gate A at our MOTAT Great North Road site and outside in the car park at our MOTAT Meola Road site) for visitors who wish to ride their bikes here. We encourage visitors to bring along their own locks.
**ALERT - 24 January 2020**
Auckland Transport are about to commence safety improvements to the St Luke’s Cycleway. The main improvement will be four new raised crossings which will make it safer for people on foot and on bikes.
These improvements begin on Friday 24 January 2020 and will revolve around the St Luke’s and Duncan MacLean intersections.
It should take around 4 weeks to complete, and we encourage visitors and MOTAT Team members to be aware of these works with respect to their safe navigation around the precinct.
There will be some road closures and temporary detours while the project progresses, which may contribute to additional traffic congestion while the project is underway.
You can find more information about the project on: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/the-western-ring-route/sh16-st-lukes-road-to-great-north-road/
Visit By Bus
Buses from Downtown Auckland and other various locations as serviced by Go West, Metrolink and Ritchies buses.
Downtown buses depart from down town Auckland. Please look up the relevant bus stop information at www.at.govt.nz
- Bus routes that service the main MOTAT bus stop at MOTAT 1 (Stop 8122) are 18, 010, 030, 110, 129, 132, 133, 134, 195. The flagship bus on this route is the 18. This operates at least every 15 minutes, from 5am until midnight, seven days a week (and every 6 minutes at peak times). Route brochure from Auckland Transport.
- MOTAT 2 is serviced by the orange Auckland Transport “OuterLink” bus which operates every 15 mins when MOTAT is open. Please note the OuterLink bus only drops off and picks up on Meola Road, not Great North Road.
- The Auckland Explorer Bus also stops at MOTAT on request – visit the Explorer Bus website for further information
For the latest bus, trains and ferries information for the greater Auckland region, visit Auckland Transport.
Visit By *Taxi
There are many Taxi companies that service the Auckland area. It is approximately a 10 minute taxi ride from Auckland CBD. For more information about cost and availability a selection of taxi companies are listed below:
- Auckland Co-op Taxis 09 3003000
- Alert Taxis 09 3092000
- South Auckland Taxis 09 2785678
- North Shore Taxis 09 4888000
- Eastern Taxis Limited 09 5344644