The need for students to be equipped with the knowledge and skills to solve tough problems, gather and evaluate evidence, and make sense of information is behind the drive for education in STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
As the demand for innovative thinkers and STEM specialists increases, so does the need for initiatives to support teachers to develop these competencies in their students.
What is a STEAM Cell?
A STEAM Cell is a trailer containing specialised equipment, teaching resources and collection items; hosted by a MOTAT Educator, we bring the STEM education experience to your site.
Why a STEAM Cell?
- Ease of Use: You want to use the unique resources that MOTAT have to offer, but it’s hard work dealing with transport, organising parent supervisors, and meeting H&S requirements. A STEAM Cell brings the MOTAT learning experience to you without all the hard work.
- Time: A large chunk of a school trip is taken up in travel, valuable time which could instead be incorporated into the students’ learning experience. A STEAM Cell arrives at your site early in the day and stays until the school day finishes – we take the travel time out of the equation.
- Cost Saving: The cost of hiring buses is huge and often the reason why a trip doesn’t get off the ground. MOTAT’s STEAM Cells can come to you for a fraction of the cost of a traditional LEOTC visit.
- Flexible: Because it's inexpensive and mobile we can customise the experience to meet your educational needs.
How does it work?
You book the STEAM Cell through our Booking team.
On the day the STEAM Cell comes to your school, the MOTAT Educator sets up and facilitates the learning experience with your students. At the end of the day the Educator packs up and the STEAM Cell leaves – couldn’t be simpler!
A STEAM Cell can provide a ‘taster’ experience for a larger group of students. For example, you might want an entire year level to engage in a short duration educational session. A STEAM Cell can also provide a deeper education experience for a smaller group of students. For example, a single class might use the resources in a STEAM Cell to explore an experience in depth.
Discuss your particular needs with our booking team before making a booking. In the week preceding your booked visit you will be contacted by an Educator to discuss the details of our visit to your site.
A Competencies Approach
‘A review of the literature on 21st Century Skills suggests that education must be upgraded for learners to thrive in the new global economy. Success in today’s world requires the ability to access, synthesize, and communicate information; to work collaboratively across differences to solve complex problems; and to create new knowledge through the innovative use of multiple technologies’
An Overview of 21st Century Skills - Brandon C. Ledward and Dorothy Hirata
While the list of competencies desirable for effective participation in 21st Century society changes depending on which educational expert you are talking to, there is general agreement as to the need to change the focus from acquisition of knowledge to development of competencies in order to better prepare our students for their futures.
MOTAT Steam Cell programmes take a competency focus, giving us the flexibility to work within your topic or enquiry context.
THE FOLLOWING CHARGES APPLY TO MOTAT STEAM CELL VISITS WITHIN THE GREATER AUCKLAND AREA (ZONE 1)*
- $10.00 per child, teachers and teacher aides free of charge.
- $200 per return trip to the school .
- A minimum charge of $100 per booked programme for all LEOTC Educational experiences applies
* Trips outside of the greater Auckland area (zones 2 and 3) incur additional costs – please contact email@example.com for a quote.
BOOK NOW! or call (09) 815 5808