MOTAT is community and environmentally focused and in particular it is seeking to use technology and other initiatives to improve participation and access for disadvantaged groups and indigenous peoples, and to increase the cultural, economic and social wellbeing of Auckland and New Zealand as a whole.
Further Objective 4.3 of MOTAT’s strategy requires the Museum to:
- Refine its sustainability programmes so that it is carbon neutral
- Improve its systems for securing and monitoring its sites and collection
- Promote and use technology that reduces our impact on the environment and inspires the Museum’s audience to do the same.
Objective 5 requires MOTAT to engage with likeminded institutions and in particular:
- Promote tangata whenua technology and innovation, te reo and tikanga
- Work collaboratively with other institutions to develop exhibitions, education and outreach programmes that benefit the community
- Use the Museum’s facilities to support the local community and events in the Western Springs