MOTAT works hard to support and maintain the surrounding Western Springs area and wider Auckland environment to ensure its beauty is preserved for generation of Kiwis to come.
Our strong Environmental Commitment practices is as a result of a number of positive initiatives we have incorporated into the visitor experience.
MOTAT has been recognised by our Qualmark Silver Enviro Award, awarded for our exception levels of resource management and social responsibility.
Key environmental initiatives include:
- Continuous improvement to the MOTAT sustainability plan to reduce the museum’s impact on the environment.
- Sending our shredded paper to Auckland Zoo for animal bedding.
- Recycling privet for Auckland Zoo giraffes to graze.
- Using organic cleaning products.
- Purchasing local products where possible to support local suppliers and reduce carbon emissions.
- Supporting local community task force clean up initiatives.
- Harvesting rainwater from rooftops for use in our toilets and watering our gardens.
- Having dual-flush toilets and waterless urinals.
- Using sensor tap systems in our toilets.
- Using trigger guns for watering gardens to reduce water use.
- Using energy efficient light bulbs and appliances.
- Having lighting in our exhibition spaces on sensors.
- Provide recycling stations onsite.
- Offers a sustainability education programme for schools.