Early Childhood Education
BOOK NOW! or call (09) 815 5808
Bring the MOTAT magic to your next early childhood class!
Aligned with the Early Childhood Curriculum, Te Whāriki (1996), MOTAT's early childhood education programmes are designed as a guided discovery of our collections by a MOTAT Early Childhood Educator.
Designed for our youngest visitors, learning experiences include a thrilling tram ride and hands-on fun in our specially designed under 5’s area. The general MOTAT policy is to allow educator visits, where you can visit MOTAT FREE of charge to familiarise yourself with MOTAT's early childhood programmes.
EARLY CHILDHOOD PROGRAMMES
MOTAT’s Early Childhood visits generally run from 10am-12pm. There are six great sessions available which cater for a wide range of learning experience goals:
- Te Rapu Taonga. This activity is a self-guided trail in Te Reo Māori. This trail will take you around the MOTAT site to discover treasures in the MOTAT collection. Students will search for many things including Tarakitā, Kura and Wākana as well as objects in a variety of colours. Designed to strengthen understanding and use of Te Reo this trail can be completed by fluent speakers and people new to the language.
Maximum of 20 students per activity session. Suitable for ages 3-5.
Please note: While an educator will introduce the activity to your group, Te Rapu Taonga is designed to be completed in small groups while exploring the MOTAT site.
- The Sensory Science Session. In this session children will explore the wonderful world of science. While investigating rainbows, shadows and colour mixing children will be encouraged to contribute, communicate and explore in groups as they engage in science activities.
20 children per session. Duration 45 minutes.
- A Victorian Way of Life has children taking part in a variety of everyday Victorian activities such as washing clothing using a washboard, playing Victorian games, and dressing up.
Set in our Victorian Village, this programme caters to larger ECE groups of up to 60 children on one day. Available to children aged 3 - 5 years.
- Machines in a Toolbox allows children to use a tool box with components to make a skateboard, pulley system and a catapult. They are given an opportunity to explore how these simple machine pieces fit and work together. Children will experience activities that develop both gross and fine motor skills and that offer varying degrees of challenge, such as balancing, hammering and construction activities.
Available to children aged 3 - 5 years. Maximum number of sessions per pre-school is 2 with a maximum of 15 children in each session
- Incredible Inventions explores old fashioned technology and how it has changed. Hands-on time includes using typewriters, switch board phones, dial phones, Morse code and slate boards.
Available to children aged 1 - 5 years. Maximum number of sessions per pre-school is 2 with a maximum of 20 children in each session.
Wheels Wheels Wheels - concentrates on transport and involves a number of activities around the MOTAT site. Activities include different varieties of transport while capturing different learning styles including building, counting, singing and sorting. They range from dressing up in a fire fighters outfit to reading transport related stories in our old School House. Wheels Wheels Wheels has been designed to be completed at the pace of the learner and to interweave learning with the exploration experience.
Please note this is a self-guided programme. While an educator will be on hand to introduce and facilitate the programme, Students are encouraged to discover, contribute, communicate and explore with in their group.
A tram ride can be negotiated with our Booking Office at MOTAT.Bookings@motat.org.nz at the time of booking.
Available to children aged 1-5 years. Suitable for ages 1-5. Maximum number per group is 60 children.
BOOK NOW! or call (09) 815 5808