International Buggy parked at MOTAT, Walsh Memorial Library, MOTAT
Manufactured by International Harvester, and based closely on the horse-drawn buggy, the International Auto buggy sought to cater for people living in rural areas. High-wheeled vehicles like this suited the needs of people who used rutted unpaved roads, as it made it possible to drive through pools of water.
The buggy was designed to be as simple as possible for easy maintenance, but as roads improved the International Buggy was soon outdated. Only 6,000 were ever built and sold.
This particular vehicle lived a country life . A Mrs Goodin of Carterton bought it in 1910 for £260 from her local agent. She later sold the car and it went to Te Kauwhata in the Waikato, then to Auckland in the 1930s.
|Manufacturer:||International Harvester Co.|
|Model:||International Auto Buggy D1975|
|County Manufactured:||United States|
|Engine:||Petrol, 2 cylinder|
|Horse Power:||14 HP|
|Gearbox:||2 Forward gears, 1 reverse|